Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tough Day For the Phils

While I watched the first few innings of the Phillies vs. Brewers game on MLB.tv during my JOUR 350 class this afternoon, I was encouraged by Cole Hamels.

He cruised through the first three innings, had the velocity on his fastball up in the low 90s, and was spotting his developing curveball nicely.

Then I come back to my apartment after my next class to see Hamels got knocked out of the game by a line drive off his shoulder shortly after I stopped watching.

Plus Brewers starter Dave Bush took a no-hitter into the 8th.

The Phils are currently trailing 6-1 in the bottom of the eighth, and it's looking like they're about to drop their second straight game to fall to 6-8 on the season.

It's obviously way too early to get seriously concerned, but it's definitely that the Phillies seem to struggle in April year after year after year.

The Phils had the worst starting rotation ERA in the major leagues heading into today, and taking a line drive off his pitching shoulder certainly isn't going to help Hamels.

Luckily the Mets and Braves are also struggling, and it looks like the Marlins might be regressing to the mean after their 11-1 start, but days like today just aren't ballin'.

The Phils really just need to wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment